Artist Statement: I thought the similarities between the origin stories of Han Solo and James Kirk were interesting, so I made a trailer highlighting them. They’re both cocky, have a sense of destiny to become a pilot/captain, and have an alien for a best friend. Plus a mashup between Star Wars and Star Trek feels controversial, if you can call it that. The original trailer was fun and light on plot details and villain motivations, so I kept it in that spirit.
1. I isolated the spaceship fly by and motorcycle drive by sound effects from the music score.
2. I combined the voiceover from a Star Trek trailer and dialogue of Pike at 0:08. I had to EQ match both versions and also compress the dialogue used from the movie to match the voiceover from the trailer. Noise reduction for the trailer voiceover was needed to get rid of the music.
3. I tried my best to do a Starship Enterprise match cut at 0:31. There wasn’t really a shot of the ship that matched the miniature Kirk was holding.
4. Noise reduction for dialogue at 0:34 was greatly needed with all the steam sounds in the background.
5. I really like the head turn match at 0:41. It offered a smooth transition between completely different locations.
6. In the original trailer at 1:22 the famous blaster sound effect was used like an instrument in time with the music, so I used the lasers from Star Trek as one too. I pitch shifted them to better match harmonically with the music.
7. At 1:48 I pitch shifted the clicks lower to give them more body. In the original they sounded smaller which was fitting since Solo was just hitting switches.
8. I love how in sync the missile sound effects were to the music at the end.